Motorway rape case: IG Punjab dismisses reports regarding suspects arrest

13


Inspector General of Punjab Police Inam Ghani on Saturday dismissed reports that a suspect in the Lahore motorway rape case had been arrested, terming them as incorrect.

“News on the arrest of a suspect on TV channels and social media are incorrect,” said IGP Ghani, adding that he would share any ‘success’ in the case with media as he was monitoring the investigation himself.
“Such unconfirmed news affects the case and is also misleading for the public,” said Punjab’s top cop. He also said that pictures of the woman and the suspect of the case being shared on social media were fake.
The police officer urged media not to run reports before confirming them and urged people to have trust in the police.
“We will soon arrest the accused and bring them to justice,” vowed IGP Ghani.
25 suspects with criminal record missing in villages around the motorway
During the investigation of the incident, it emerged that 25 suspects with criminal records were missing from Karol and adjoining villages.
According to police, a search and sweep operation is underway in the 5km near the Eastern Bypass – where the horrific incident took place.
On the other hand, the police have taken DNA samples of 53 people from three villages – all of whom are between the ages of 20 and 35 years.
Besides, IG Punjab Inam Ghani said that information was also being sought from the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) and The National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) regarding the case.
Saying that false news should not be spread regarding the case and ongoing investigations, Ghani clarified that no ring has been found and no suspects have been arrested. Moreover, the victim’s ATM card has not been used as of yet.
IG Punjab said that no DNA match has taken place yet and that the information would be made public if any progress is made in this regard.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here